Grace likes to write. Michael likes to take pictures. Here are our moments.

About Us

My photo
Here are our moments.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

CURRIED COCONUT BABY EGGPLANT WITH VEGETABLES

I ran across some delicious-looking baby eggplants at the local farmer's market and had to pick some up. Since my last recipe (CURRIED SWEET POTATO-APPLE SOUP), I wanted to once again use curry in my next meal. I cook white rice to add to the bottom of the curry mixture and added some potatoes, mushrooms (on sale finally), peas, and canned tomatoes to create this heat-filled vegetarian dish.

Ingredients
(Recipe adapted of Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything)

*2 medium to large eggplants ( I like the skin on eggplants, but you can peel skin if desired)
*4 baby eggplants
*1 tbsp. neutral oil
*1 tsp. mustard seeds
*1/2 tsp. cayenne
*1/2 tsp. ground tumeric
*2 tsp. ground coriander
*1 tsp. ground cumin
*1 tbsp. minced ginger
*2 tbsp. sliced garlic
*1/2 habanero pepper, if desired
*3 large tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded, and chopped (we just bought a can of whole tomatoes, chopped them up and included all the juices)
*3 large potatoes, any kind, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
*1 1/2 cups cocunut milk
*Ground black pepper
*2 tbsp. lime juice
*Minced cilantro for garnish

**In my last dish, CURRIED SWEET POTATO-APPLE SOUP, I made my own curry spice which I store for later uses.  In this recipe, I negated the spices listed in the ingredients (except for ginger and garlic) and used my curry powder.**

Directions

Cut large eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes and salt it if you would like and time allows

Put the oil in a deep pot on medium-high heat and add the spices including the ginger and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes

Add the tomatoes and its juices, potatoes, large and baby eggplant, coconut milk, salt and pepper.

Turn the heat down to medium-low and cover; cook, stirring once or twice for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are just about tender

Uncover and turn the heat back up o medium and add more coconut milk if the mixture is dry

Cook, stirring occasionally, until both eggplant and potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes longer. 

Stir in the lime juice, adjust the seasonings as desired, and garnish with cilantro

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment